Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day so the more excuses I have to eat breakfast foods morning, noon and night the happier I will be.
If you know you will be enjoying a night out on the town and these savory cakes can be made the day before and cooked when needed, making them the perfect lazy brunch for those of us that might be feeling slightly fragile the morning after.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 200g (1 cup) bacon lardons (you can use bacon rashers, gamon or pancetta as an alternative)
- 500g (2 cups) stiff mashed potatoes
- 2 diced plum tomatoes, deseeded
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- flour for shaping
- 30g butter
- 1 or 2 eggs per person
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and fry the bacon until brown. Set aside and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Place the mashed potato into a large mixing bowl with the tomatoes chives and bacon, season to taste and mix well.
- Lightly flour a work surface and shape to mixture into either 4 large or 6 medium sized cakes. Place on a floured tray and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan and fry the cakes for 2 minutes on each side or until nicely crisp and browned and hot.
- Serve topped with a poached egg (or fried) and a side of beans, maybe treat yourself to some gorgeous fresh bread as well to mop up that egg yolk.