- 1 white onion
- 1 small potato
- 2 large parsnips
- 1 litre of vegetable stock (I like to use Swiss vegetable Bullion powder)
- 3 large beetroot diced
- 7 tablespoons of sour cream
- a pinch of ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons of horseradish cream
- seasoning to taste
- rocket (arugula) leaves for garnishing
- Heat the onion over a medium heat in a large saucepan until softened.
- Add the potato and parsnips and cover with the vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Place the beetroot in the pan and blitz the mixture until smooth (I like to precook the beetroot as it helps give the soup a bright vivid pink colour). Because of the structure of beetroot don't expect the soup to be as smooth as other vegetable soups.
- Add the sour cream, ginger and horseradish and mix until incorporated.
- Season to taste and serve hot, topped with a small rocket nest.