This recipe is wonderfully versatile, and can be enjoyed throughout the year. During the Summer I love to grill these on the BBQ, but they taste just as good baked in the oven. The recipe will make enough marinade for 8 strips of belly pork but can easily be doubled up if you want to make them for more people.
What I love most about this recipe is that the marinade doubles up as the sauce; also if you don't eat pork it goes beautifully with chicken.
- 4 spring onions (scallions), sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3tbsp honey
- 1tbsp soft dark brown sugar
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp rum
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- Tip the ribs into a big bowl and throw in the spring onions, and garlic. Now spoon all the remaining ingredients over the ribs and mix until well incorporated.
The pork can be cooked immediately or covered at this point and left to marinade in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160Cfan/Gas4 or heat the BBQ to a medium heat. If cooking in the oven transfer the pork to an oven proof dish with a little of the sauce. Cook for 20-30 minutes, turning and basting the meat every 5 minutes, until cooked through.
- Place any leftover marinade into a saucepan and heat on a low/medium heat until thickened and sticky, pour over the meat just before serving.